Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Very Own Turkish Delight

[Picture Unavailable, but by the time you are done reading this you will know what they look like.]

So, I made some cinnamon doughnut holes a month or so ago and store half of them in the freezer. Every time Tim opens the freezer he thinks that this little treat is inside of the bowl. I thought the doughnuts were good but apparently not this good. I decided yesterday that I would make some of these and put them in the freezer to surprise him. I usually just call these chocolate balls, but then I thought that they are more of a mousse so I thought about calling them mousse balls... but that didn't sound very good, so I have no idea what to call these EXCEPT delicious! Oh and Cool Whip is like the major ingredient and I hate cool whip but I really love these. So if you are like me and really don't like cool whip... don't stick your nose up at this recipe... unless you don't like chocolate either.

16 oz. Cool Whip
2 Giant Hershey's with (or without) almonds (6.8 oz)
1/2 box Nilla Wafers
1 tsp. vanilla (optional)

First of all you need to make sure that the cool whip is in it's soft state, not frozen state. Now, you are going to need to turn your wafers into crumbs. Food processor, ziploc bag and rolling pin, blender... however you do it just make crumbs. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (or in my case a medium-ish pot filled with water and a medium pyrex bowl sitting on top.) If you are brave you can melt the chocolate in the microwave but be sure not to burn it because if you do, these will not be delicious. Once the chocolate is melted remove from the pot. If you so desire, go ahead and add a splash of vanilla at this point. I usually put the vanilla in the chocolate but it does something weird to the chocolate that makes me think I did something wrong... BUT you could stir it into the cool whip before adding it to the chocolate. I dont know why I didnt think of that before now. So at this point you have the cookie crumbs, the melted chocolate, and the vanilla flavored cool whip. Right? Now stir the cool whip into the bowl of chocolate. I usually add the cool whip gradually between stirring but whatever you want to do... you pretty much cant screw these up. Once you have your chocolate mousse, put it in the refrigerator until it thickens up... 30 minutes to an hour. Once thicker, it will be easier to roll the mousse into the cookie crumbs. Just drop by the spoonful and coat with nilla wafer crumbs. We think these are best stored in the freezer. I just open the freezer and grab one out an enjoy. Yummm...

No comments: