Thursday, September 24, 2009

Healthify Your Flour


Alright so, in the Sneaky Chef cookbook that I checked out from the library the other day I found a helpful hint for using flour. It is super easy. Ready? Make your own better for you flour by mixing equal parts White All-purpose flour, Whole Wheat (stone ground, I like Bob's Red Mill) flour, and Wheat Germ. This morning I asked Olivia what she wanted for breakfast and she opened a drawer and pulled out the waffle maker. So, we made waffles. I really do want to start at least making an effort to incorporate healthier foods into our diet so, when the recipe called for flour I thought... I can make this even better. So I mixed (you can do more, I just didn't have that much wheat germ)

2 cups of flour
2 cups of wheat flour
2 cups of wheat germ

and then took what flour the recipe called for from there. Sure, you could tell it was a little different but it really didn't taste bad at all. I thought for sure with the 4 cups of healthier stuff and only the 2 cups of the white stuff that the waffles would be tough and gross but they weren't. So, if you feel like "healthifying" your flour try this.

No comments: